Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Swifly responded... but then again

I swear it was faster that TmNet ISP's responds to any technical issues.

A couple of days ago during a storm, with a cruel twist of fate, a lightning bolt struck the power line at some point close to home, literally. And of all electrical appliance that was taking power from it, my PC somehow got a little extra than what it needed, some capacitor or whatever in the Power Supply Unit couldn't take that extra charge and so it ended with a climatic "POP", and I got a front row seat watching my PC grinding to a halt and its screen goes blank.

Well, it was a little mix luck. While it was totally unlucky that my PC (and only my PC) had to be damage, but it was lucky that only the PSU and a Network card that was fried. Now PSU was sent for warranty (while I'm on a much cheaper temporary replacement PSU now) and network card didnt cost more than 20 bucks only.

Not that I'm trying to pride myself here, but in a way, I'm glad that I did have the sufficient knowledge to actually troubleshoot everything and with just a visit to the comp shop (with the PSU all already taken out to make things easier and the LAN card was confirm KIA), everything was settled.

Well, still, being able to easily troubleshoot a PC doesn't really makes a guy perfect anyway. Sometimes, I wish I could troubleshoot real life's problem as easy as this. Like how we're taught how to solve algebra problem in school, or learn about changing car tires from my dad, there are just some things that we're never taught of. And so I guess, its something we all learn as we move along. Some people does better at it, while others, like I am, are unable to handle it in the best of ways.

Anyway I'm glad it didn't cost me much, that no other hardware was damage besides a PSU and a LAN card. Now I have to wait for the return of the PSU.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home